Thursday, October 17, 2013

I have acquired at least three - no make that four - temporary nicknames since I got here.

Tiger Bait, Gimlet, and Mushroom.  Go try to figure those out.

EDIT: also, scooter/scooter girl.  I have no idea how I missed that the first time.

Quote of the week:

"Guys, we don't drop bombs on things because we're bored."

I finally ate it on my scooter, after being here 4 months  (Sorry, Maj H).  See, what had happened was...

They've been doing construction on the roads.  They added a speedbump to my usual route.  And I SAW the speed bump.  But I was then distracted and hit the grate in front of it.  It was pretty dramatic.  I almost caught myself.  I landed, rolled and as I sat there raised my hands over my head in victory.  The poor Brit behind me was so confused.  But once he decided I was fine his only regret was that he didn't get it on video.  My knee is really lovely right now, like three different colors.

On the ongoing drama that's probably all in my own head that is my paper:

Ok so maybe 50 pages isn't going to be so bad.  I'm on page 35 and between a conclusion, abstract, and adding five more sources to the lit review I should be alrite.  It is still lame.  The fact that Netanyahu's official twitter account somehow started following an Iranian porn site and became an internet meme?  Absolutely going into my paper.  Also, can one refer to "the internet" as a person in a masters thesis?  Same question for using the phrase "the rebel alliance."  I'm tempted to use both.  So far Miles Davis radio is the best for paper writing.

My friend Laurie threw out the PB, which sorta makes it official that she's leaving soon.  Lame.  The only positive out of this is there will be less temptation to shop online...she's an enabler.

And there are more new people around.  Squadron Leader Sid, who replaced Bob the Brit, is again being replaced.  The new Sid is named Alistair Reid and he looks like it.

Sad news: my iPad fell this morning.  Not for the first time, or anything like that, but at just the wrong angle or something.  And even in it's sweet hardcore case, the screen shattered from the corner.  Still usable - so I'll email USAA about it and see what's up, and it only has to last two more months.  I'll get a new one at home and find a way to transfer all my stuff over. sigh.

I had a surprisingly existential conversation with the RC-North liaison officer on if zombies run on motivation or instinct.  I vote instinct, I don't think just looking for food because your hungry counts as actual motivation.  It's more survival instinct.  (Welcome to Friday conversations, ladies and gentlemen...)

Since my new schedule is 1100-2300, I'm out a lot later at nite.  And you know, you can have a perfectly still, quiet moment in the small hours of the morning even in Afghanistan, and even if you can't see the stars.

Current reading: The Beautiful and Damned, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Which pretty much puts me in mind of this picture.
 
It's starting to get cool at nite, but so far I haven't needed to break out the jacket or fleece.  I'm told in three weeks there will be snow.
 
Miss you all,
 
-S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment