Saturday, October 29, 2011

He is the Ruler Yet

This is my Father’s world and to my listening ears, all nature sings and round me ring the music of the sphere. This is my Father’s world I rest me in the thought-all rocks, all trees, all skies, and seas-His hand this wonder has wrought. This is my Father’s world oh and let me never forget that though the wrong seems often so strong, God is the ruler yet. This is my father’s world, oh the battle is not done. 'Cause Jesus who died will be satisfied and earth and heaven will be won.
Earth has not been won…yet. It was obvious this week as people here were both casualties and fatalities on different occasions. I tried to put myself in the position of those who lost their lives and, understanding their circumstances, the people killed did not wake up and think this was going to be their last day. It seemed even more surreal that I had traveled that same road a few days earlier and recognized the scene.
In basic training we memorized this quote from John Stuart Mill, “War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral...feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is much worse.” There are some battles worth fighting and some which are not worth it. I asked myself a couple times this week, is this worth it?
We don’t have to go to war to be in a war. The battles which rage in our minds and over our hearts are all too real also. Even as I realize this, I know I am here for a reason. I am seeing war as I would never have seen it otherwise. I am realizing more that this is a miniscule war in comparison to the war which rages in our hearts and minds every day in every individual. If there was complete victory in all the 7 billion people’s (the record hits tomorrow!) hearts and minds I would not be in body armor and in Afghanistan.
This is why the Lord commands us to be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power and to put on the full armor of God: that we can take our stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, the authorities, against the power of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. The Lord knows how to fight much better than I do.
Although, the wrong has seemed so strong this week God is the Ruler yet! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment