Monday, August 8, 2011

5 Flights Later...

…I am in Asia! I have traveled through 6 airports from Philadelphia on to Atlanta on to Panama City on to Maine to Germany on to Kyrgyzstan-all in the last 48 hours. I saw Jennifer in Panama City and Hunter in Germany. It is fun traveling when you know you’re going to see friends soon! We are traveling with many Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD-CE) people. They are very motivated, which helps when you have to unload 15,000 pounds of luggage three times (onto the plane, off the plane, off the semi). Tonight, I will find out how to get to Afghanistan.
A military rotator is similar (in some ways) to a commercial airline-it’s not a military plane. You have stewards/stewardesses, hot meals, and movies. We had about 15,000 pounds of luggage for 80 people. Less than 1/3 of the seats were used.
CAST finished up well. We were trained on Counter IED, Mounted Ops, and land navigation. Land navigation was fun as it is a useful skill to know how to get somewhere on a map. We used the government GPS’ (they are not user friendly). We ended with a field training exercise which tested our skills in all areas of training. I had less than a 12 hour turnaround to catch my flight out. Very busy!
Written 1 Aug

No comments:

Post a Comment